Friday, July 10, 2009

Jon & Kate + 8 - A Marriage = Tabloid Feeding Frenzy



I started watching Jon & Kate + 8 in the summer of 2008, I think. I never was a huge fan of TLC, I watched What Not To Wear, of course, and sometimes the following Ten Years Younger atrocity, but I was hardly a devoted follower of TLC's program schedule. Then this show popped up with eight adorable children and a hyper-organized mother with a voice like Ellen Degeneres. I never thought Kate was crazy, just overwelmed. As the show progressed into the year, Jon became more and more tired-looking, more distant. His eyes got more bloodshot while Kate began to turn into a orange-skinned, crazy-looking haircut. I never imagined that the affair rumors would develop into anything. It happened all the time But new information kept coming up. Kate was traveling a lot more in this most recent season, for her book, leaving the subjects, her children, behind with Jon. People were saying the whole show was a charade - the couple hadn't even lived together for two years. No one knew what was true. They started doing their interviews seperately during the show. The children began to show signs of stress.

Then the long-awaited divorce announcement, accompanied by slow montages of the couple standing apart and Kate, only Kate, narrating their desire for peace. I don't know if they would have lasted without the pressure of the show. All I know is that fame and attention affects people differently. Kate rose to the occasion, becoming aggressive for whatever reason, maybe she truly wants to create a perfect life for her children, or maybe she is selfish like the media paints her to be. Jon, who seems shy, couldn't handle it. It's a tragedy. And the world doesn't appreciate it. After the announcement, the viewership went down by 77%. Kate said they would continue the show ,but I don't know who'll watch it. I know I won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment